Here’s a suggested ten-week study guide for the game, including our recorded analysis and recommended readings. Each discussion corresponds to roughly an hour in-game.
Join us for live discussions and tutorials by subscribing to the classroom page on patreon.
Week 1 – Magic and Tech
- Franz Kafka and The Marriage of Figaro are two essential touchstones for much of the game’s complex aesthetic
Week 2 – Allies
- A more lugubrious Train Blues, a sillier Gilgamesh, a more beguiling Bradbury introduction would be hard to imagine
- See also: Citizen Kane passwords, Ceres and Terra etymologies, or La Celestina (per a connection raised by the Retronauts and their audience)
Week 3 – Love Letters
Week 4 – Politics and Myth
- If there’s a topic so far that’s caught your interest, this week would be a good time to do some writing!
- Even if, as seems likely, Maduin is not a reference to Mael Duin, the connections raised there are still worth a look
Week 5 – The Silence of the Espers
Another week for writing and revising papers…
Week 6 – The Fall and the Leap
- Hereafter, most of the allusions we’re discussing tend to be internal to the game and the series. Comparisons of Leo to Galuf and Aeris, for instance, or looking at Cid across the main titles would be excellent topics…
Week 7 – The Light of Judgment
- As the game opens up at this point, so we suggest opening up the class to more student-directed approaches, such as presentations of research, and to a breadth theoretical lenses (for instance, how feminist or transhumanist reads of FFVI might look, particularly think about how it sets up its successor…)
Week 8 – Searching for Friends
Week 9 – Fantasy and Art
Week 10 – And You
- Sorry about confusing millennia and centuries here since the War of the Magi…
Many thanks for listening, and if you are teaching or writing about FFVI in any form, we’d love to hear from you! The chance to talk FFVI with our friends and listeners is always a Gem Box, a Genji Glove of a treasure, as in this conversation with Alex Schmid on comparisons with FFVII.
General FFVI Resources: